Sunday, October 5, 2014

Recipe Alert: Sunday Dinner Paleo Spread

Today I cooked a Paleo spread for a friend in town who introduced me to Paleo/Whole30. I posted a picture online and received several inquiries about the recipes. So here it is :) 



I would have taken step by step pictures if I had known it would be so popular. These recipes are my adaptaitons of my basic go-tos combined with our Saturday farmer's market grabs. 

Sunday Dinner Paleo Spread
Roasted Chicken with carrots, potatoes and olives
Brussels Sprouts with bacon and pears
Cheese and fruit plate

Roasted Chicken with carrots, potatoes and olives (4 servings)
1 whole organic chicken (4-5 lbs)
3 tbs olive oil
kosher salt
poultry seasoning (paprika based)
1 large (or 2-3 small) carrot sliced
2-3 small potatoes cubed
1-2 garlic cloves chopped (big pieces)
1/2 cup of mixed olives (I bought mine from my grocery store's olive bar)
1/2 tsp Rosemary
1/2 tsp Thyme
1 tbs flour (almond, coconut, whatever's on hand)

Heat oven to 450 and place an oven-safe cooking dish on the middle rack. I used my Lodge cast iron skillet. While pan is heating in oven, prep chicken and veggies. This is important because the pan will transfer the heat to the chicken to reduce cooking time. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Rub about 1 tbs of olive oil all over chicken. Sprinkle about 1/2 tsp of kosher salt on chicken. Tuck the wing tips back. Cover chicken with poultry seasoning of choice. I use Chef Paul Prudhomme's Magic Seasoning Blends (Poultry Magic) which is All Natural, MSG Free, Preservative Free and Gluten Free. But most important, it's from Louisiana...like me! 

Mix the remaining 2 tbs of olive oil in a bowl with carrots, potatoes, garlic, olives, rosemary, thyme and kosher salt (1/2 tsp). 

Carefully pull the hot skillet out of the oven. Place the chicken thigh side down and listen to the sizzles. Now ooh and aah. Distribute the veggies around the chicken. Slip a piece of garlic inside the chicken for flavor. 

Cook chicken for 1 hour (add 15 mins per half pound over 4lbs). Pull skillet from oven. Remove veggies to a serving plate. Remove chicken, lifting to drain additional juice inside and place carved chicken on top of veggies. Pour all juice from skillet into a small sauce pan. I usually get about 1 cup of liquid. Add 1 tbs of almond flour. Whisk together. Bring gravy to a boil for about a minute. Reduce heat or turn off while prepping other food. 

Vegetable variations
The key is to use root or winter squash vegetables. You can switch out the vegetables with the following vegetable/spice variations. 

Poultry seasoning pairings:
(I would use a green/black olive mix with these)
butternut squash 
Kabocha
Carrots
Potatoes

Cumin based seasoning pairings:
(I would use black olives with these)
Sweet Potatoes
Pumpkin
Acorn squash
Carrots


Brussels Sprouts with bacon and pears (4 servings)
1 lb brussels sprouts
1 small (or 1/2 large) Bartlett pear
2 slices of bacon
ghee
Kosher salt

Pre-heat oven to 400. Cut tips of brussels sprouts off and slice each in half (top to bottom). Ok if loose leaves fall off. Cut bacon and pear into small cubes. Melt 1 tbs ghee. You can use coconut oil or clarified butter but I prefer ghee because of the sweet buttery taste. It pairs well with the fruit. Mix Brussels sprouts and pears with melted ghee. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp kosher salt evenly. Spread mix on pan and cover with bacon pieces. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes (very important step). This is an adaptation of Nom Nom Paleo's Bacon and Brussels sprouts. 

Variations:
Peach/prosciutto
Red Apple/prosciutto or bacon




No comments:

Post a Comment