Thursday, September 4, 2014

Whole30: Day 1

Last night as I ate my "last meal" consisting of Qdoba's nachos, I planned my Whole30 menu. We recently returned from a family camping trip where I didn't go crazy on food but I certainly didn't hesitate and I'm feeling fat again. Not to mention the theater where I do sketches posted a video of me performing and I was not happy with the views. 

This morning I woke up at 10:30a.m. and headed to the grocery store to buy my first round of groceries. Because we were on vacation, there wasn't a morsel of Whole30 approved food in my house which caused me to miss breakfast. My first Whole30 no-no. As I was placing the organic meats and veggies in my cart, I felt a wave of panic knowing that I may spend over $300. At the checkout I was pleasantly surprised to see my total was only $181. Minus the household items I needed (toilet paper, toothpaste, etc.) and the non-Whole30 food purchased for the husband, I would say my total was more along the lines of $150 worth of Whole30 food. (Side note: King Soopers has great online coupons. One I used today deducting $12 for spending over $150 and another deducted $2 for buying meat. Check out your local store's app and coupon deals!)




After unpacking and putting away my groceries, I desperately needed food! It is now 1:30 and I'm HUNGRY. Knowing I don't have time to wait on something to cook, I make scrambled eggs with mushroom and spinach, two slices of bacon (but the husband ate one) and a handful of grapes. I read the label of my Green Chile and determine that it is Whole30 and dump a bit of that as well. After eating, I realize that I may need to review the portion section. 



Later in the afternoon I crash. I tell myself that it will only be a 1 hour nap but it turns into 2 hours. I wake up and rush through dinner (while cooking a side of sloppy joes for the husband). I think this was my first challenge. Not having food to easily grab while running late. But I force myself to take the time to cook spaghetti squash with meat sauce and added zucchini. I was worried that it wouldn't be enough to keep me full causing me to think of nothing but hunger during my improv class. The meal was more than enough and I was surprising full throughout the class. (I couldn't get a great picture because it was still steaming! Time to go!)


I finish Day 1 with this awful picture, but I am posting it to remind myself of why I'm doing this. (You ever take one of these and think "Damn, I didn't think it was that bad!?")


Day 1:
Lunch
3 scrambled eggs with mushrooms, spinach and green chile
1 slice of bacon
handful of Midnight Beauty grapes

Dinner:
Spaghetti Squash with meat sauce and added zucchini and summer squash 




No comments:

Post a Comment